Double Duty Silver & Black Tarps
|Home » |
Tarp Repair Kit - 53 Pieces
This Grommet Kit has 53 standard size 1/2 inch weather-resistant brass plated grommets. It also comes with heavy duty zinc plated steel punches and an anvil. Use this kit to save money by repairing tarps, tents awnings, pool covers, canopies and more. The set includes 1 anvil, 1 hole punch, 1 grommet crimpier punch, and 50 - 1/2 inch grommets.
Standard size 1/2 inch weather-resistant brass plated grommets
Heavy duty zinc plated steel punches and anvil
Rustproof grommets on each corner and all around hem
|Average Customer Rating:
|| based on 32 reviews|
Average Customer Review:
( 32 customer reviews )
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
37 of 37 found the following review helpful:
Pretty good repair kitNov 29, 2010
By John F. Huesman
This is a good, but not great, kit for repairing tarps that have had grommets tear out or to put in some custom grommets to fit a generic tarp to suit your needs. It is a great value for the number of grommets you get in the kit, but it's still not quite 5-star material.
- Good value. You get 25 grommets (each is a 2-piece set with the separate washer, that's how they get to 53-pieces).
- Grommets are sturdy and grip the tarp/tent material well once you get them installed properly. (see below)
- Hole punch is sturdy and will stand up to a lot of hole making.
- The hole punch is not very sharp, so using it right out of the package would require a lot of hits with the hammer, increasing the chance of a bad hit that will take out material you didn't want to. But a couple minutes with a narrow file and that's not a problem any more. You shouldn't have to sharpen it, but since you can, it's not a big deal.
- The flange sometimes seats onto the washer a bit lopsided if you're not very careful about having all the parts of the tool aligned perfectly when you hit it. So that's not the tool's fault, but be warned in advance that it is very sensitive to that.
- Machining on some of the parts is not very well done. The end of the punch that was in my kit is very rough and uneven; I'm a little concerned that I might get a piece of that metal breaking off sometime when I hit it to set a grommet.
- The grommets are made of a hard-enough metal that you really have to give it a good hit with the hammer to get the punch to fully seat the flange onto the washer. I'm a pretty big guy and I've been swinging a 20-oz framing hammer most of my life, and I have a few times had to take a second hit on these to get them fully seated. If this happens, you have to be very careful to make sure you have all the tools properly aligned again; if you just haul off and hit it a second time, you're libel to end up with an offside flange that has an edge sharp enough to cause problems with a rope or bungee.
- Absolutely no instructions. While it's pretty self-explanatory to me, I'm not sure all the steps of the process would be so clear to someone who hasn't been a woodworker for years.
I'm happy with this purchase, and it is a really good value. Just remember to take your time and line everything up and you'll be happy using this kit too.
12 of 12 found the following review helpful:
Gromets good, cutter so-soJun 04, 2011
By Joel Nelson
I got great use out of the grommets and they were incredibly easy to apply, but the cutter did not work for my application. I was applying grommets to a heavy canvas so I will cut it some slack, seems sturdy and if applied to your average poly tarp I'm sure it would work.
The gromets themselves are of good quality and brass so the wont rust. One word of advice however is be careful not to strike to hard or to many times as it tends to mush the brass. Tap sharply once or twice then check to see if more is required. Good Luck!
3 of 3 found the following review helpful:
barely useableFeb 17, 2013
By Dorn W. Peterson
1) The grommets are made of very thin metal. Each grommet + washer weighs 1.7 grams. Compare that with the grommets from Lord and Hodge which weigh 4.0 grams. These grommets should only be used for light duty.
2) The tool to cut the holes for the fabric arrived dull. It is made of a soft steel and so has to be resharpened frequently. I threw it away and made a new one out of hardenable tool steel but most people won't be able to do that.
3) The punch and anvil have worked ok, though I haven't used them much. Again they are made of a soft steel so I don't know how long they will last.
3 of 3 found the following review helpful:
Grommet KitJan 19, 2012
By Bryan Queen
The grommet kit was delivered as promised and contained everything shown in the advertisement. I used 20 grommets on a tarp that I have and it was very easy to use and worked well.
2 of 2 found the following review helpful:
POOR QUALITY GROMETSDec 22, 2012
This kit is of poor quality. I have been use to using quality heavy duty gromets for years, but I decided too give this kit a try, I should have known better, you get what you pay! The hole punch could not even punch through velcro, The gromets are very thin and distourt very easily. I can not recommend this kit
See all 32 customer reviews on Amazon.com